Category Archives: Insane in the Membrane
Interesting couple of days! Yes I’m getting a heap of emails from people about the Blizzcon Q&A panel information on insane in the membrane changes. We still have over a month before Cataclysm and I have a feeling the true extent of the changes won’t prevent the dedicated amongst you achieving your title.
I’ll be keeping an eye on the comments here and on twitter so if you have any niggling questions then ask them. There’s a whole community of insane around here and plenty of assistance to make sure you get the help you need!
Emage submitted some of his tips on getting diamonds recently. I was impressed at the simple and easy breakdown so I thought it was probably worth sharing :) Click the link below to see the full post, enjoy!
Here’s the second round of ‘best of’ guide tips. This week’s round focuses on the Darkmoon Faire and the best way to get together your card decks.
Again this is a great chance for everyone to post feedback and updates on how they feel things have changed over the year for this particular grind. Have a read from what I’ve put together and correct or add anything you think might help fill the gaps.
- Hollock found that [Dense Stone] was an extremely cheap way to get to 2000 friendly by making [Dense Grinding Stones]
- Tickingbomb bought as many herbs as possible from classic through to wotlk (except silverleaf, peacebloom and earthroot). He also bought lots of [Eternal Life] and [Primal Life]. He found that it was often difficult to get these at reasonable prices so saved enough gold to buy in bulk whenever cheap lots came up.
- Deenmark suggested only turning in level 80 decks and then reselling the trinkets to recoup the gold. This method takes longer but helps you save.
- Muted used the gold earned from selling random Dire Maul drops to finance a lot of the grind.
- Pentudo commented that Talonsworn Forest-Ragers can be herbed for the best BC herbs and 2-5 motes of life each. There are 4 per reset, he parked his herbalist alt there and did a circuit every 20 mins or so.
- Irinixx found the most satisfying part of the grind was making heaps of gold selling the trinkets received after turning in the decks.
- Aliana provided the following advice on her AH/herbing technique – “When deciding upon herbs to farm, check the AH and see what cards people tend to post. If lvl 70 cards prevail, farm trees in Skettis. If there’s an abundance of lvl 60 cards, farm Winterspring. There’s no guarantee of even distribution of cards you will create, so you’ll want to complete your decks through the AH anyway, and it can be a pain if you choose the wrong type.”
- Shiny noticed that the Classic Vanilla decks have no “extra mat” (mote of life/eternal life) so might be a bit faster to make.
- Healthstone spent a lot of time herbing in Sholazar. “You get a lot of Eternal Lifes and Frost Lotus (which you can sell). Sure some of the herbs like Goldclover, Tiger Lily, and Deadnettle don’t mill into as many Icy Pigments, but I was able to farm about 50 stacks in 2 hours. Most of those stacks being Adder’s Tongue (which has same mill chance as Icethorn and Lichbloom).
Next week – Ravenholdt!
Given that the current insane reputation guides are now approaching their first birthdays I thought it might be relevant to go through each one and post a summary of the best user submitted comments.
This is also a great chance for everyone to post feedback and updates on how they feel things have changed in the last year. A great example for the Shen’dralar is the price and availability of [Pristine Black Diamonds] .
Here are my picks from all the user submitted tips:
- Hellmatador reminded us that there’s a prequest to being able to turn in the librams. This prequest is called [Elven Legends].
- Azurexia pointed out that people with the [Argent Pony Bridle] (150 Seals in Icecrown) can summon their Argent Squire and access their bank, vendor or mailbox for 3 minutes once every 4 hours. This is very handy for libram turnins!
- Apiecost pointed out that everyone except Death Knights can also turn in their class-specific quest book for a one off 500 reputation.
- Disreputable carried the libram quest items (minus the libram) on her when farming in Dire Maul. That way whenever she had a unique libram drop she could turn it in straight away without having to run to the nearest mailbox.
- Insane parked an alt outside on a second account. Whenever his bags got filled with materials he could zone out and trade the items over to his alt to free up bag space.
- Manmana took up skinning while doing Dire Maul runs and acquired a large amount of Rugged Leather. The profit from this helped offset the cost of the other reputations.
- While running Dire Maul, Darolyn grouped his character with a friends 225 enchanting paladin alt. Even though the alt wasnt with him or even online this allowed him to select ‘disenchant’ when items came up.
- Trytobuyme commented that farming low level herbs for Darkmoon Cards is a waste. It’s best to farm high level herbs or anything else more valuable and sell it to buy the low level herbs.
- Ronahan emphasized the importance of advertising for [Pristine Black Diamonds] in trade and making COD deals with people. He got a lot of his diamonds at a good price doing this.
So – what has everyone got to add? A year ago people commented and complained that [Pristine Black Diamond] prices on their servers were 50-100g. Now we’re looking at 300g and upwards! Would love to hear your questions, comments and feedback :)
Over the weekend [Khaas of Bloodscalp US] completed his insane achievement. He sent me through his screenshot for the insane [Hall of Fame] which brings the hall of fame to 60 screenshots with a total of 67 insane titles.
Shortly over a year ago when I published the first few rep guides for the insane title I’m not sure I expected such a community to form around them. In April 2009, the month I published my Ravenholdt guide, saate.net received 689 visitors for the entire month.
Fast forward to a year later and now 1000 people a day are visiting to check out the guides, puzzles and other random stuff. That’s pretty extraordinary in my book. :)
Huge thanks to everyone who’s used the guides, sent in screenshots, added comments and especially referred people here!
Have been pulling together some numbers recently and started thinking about this. How much does the [Insane in the Membrane] achievement cost in terms of gold and hours? I’m talking about your average person who pays the average price for all their librams/pristine black diamonds.
I have a habit of recalling achievements completed as being much easier and less time consuming than they were. So keeping that in mind here’s what what I’ve got so far:
5-10 Hours to grind to honored?
No gold cost
20-30 Hours to grind?
No gold cost
84 Librams x 200g = 16800g
84 Pristine Black Diamonds x 200g = 16800g
15-20 Hours to farm mix of 84 stitchings/skins of shadow/blood of heroes?
5-10 Hours of time checking AH?
1-2 Hours of time to turn everything in?
1405 Junkboxes = 18 Hours of pickpocket grinding
1405 Junkboxes = 14050g if paying someone else
120 Epic Decks x 350g = 42000g
10-15 Hours of time checking AH?
1-2 Hours turning in?
How long if herbing and creating cards?
Help me out guys! What needs to be adjusted? Obviously for pricing information we’re looking for cross-server averages rather than specific “well on MY realm” high/low examples.
I recently responded to a post on the official WoW forums on this topic. I thought it might be worthwhile to bring it up with you guys to discuss.
The gist of my response is “No, from information available you most likely will not need the reputations at the same time. Some people, however, have documented and reported different results. Why risk it anyway?”.
A copy of my response on the forums is below:
One of the main contributors to the widespread debate on this topic is actually BECAUSE of the ‘official’ responses. Many people have asked the question of GM’s and received responses in game both advising for and against the ‘all reps at the same time’ topic.
A player then posts a screenshot of their particular ‘official’ response believing it to be the ultimate truth and so the debates go on. What we’re left with unfortunately is a collection of competing official responses and the many unofficial testimonials to go with them.
I wrote about this – and included links to several different GM response screenshots – in my bloodsail exalted guide which you can take at if you like.
What has your experience been? Got any competing GM screenshots to share? Drop me a comment below!
I often see threads in the official wow forums or questions in the comment section of my Shen’dralar Exalted guide about Pristine Black Diamonds.
Aspiring insane in the membrane folks buy all of their librams in advance and sometimes completely forget they need the diamonds to go with each libram hand-in and end up being stuck with paying 300g/diamond because they have no other choice.
I thought it might be cool for us to all share our tips, tricks and techniques for acquiring these rarities and in doing so create a good reference link to share with people.
My tips are:
- Plan ahead! Even if you’re not working on Shen’dralar just yet keep checking the auction house every single day for diamonds. Let your guildmates and friends know you’re after them too.
- Make an Alliance/Horde alt to check the opposing factions auction house and snap up their cheap diamonds when you see them.
- Find out who else is working on Insane in the Membrane and make friends with them. Anyone who decides to abandon the grind halfway through is a possible good source for diamonds.
What else do you guys have to add?
Well the last week has been crazy busy for me. Between my new job and patch 3.2 it’s taken until today for me to sit down and really get some good time in working on the site. I wanted to thank everyone for the comments and emails that keep coming! It really makes my day to read them so keep sending away, especially with screenshots of your new insane titles.
I’ve created a page to display all the screenshots as they come in so contact me with a link if you have one to share and I’ll add it to the page. Here’s the link:
Have been settling into life on Aman’thul over the last week. One thing I don’t think I’ll ever get used to is Dalaran being so busy at 11pm at night! After playing on a US server for so many years I’m used to my playtime being ‘off peak’ hours for the server so its a freaky change.
Finally after much research I went ahead and ordered the Asus EeePC 1000HE on Friday. I opted for 2GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive which, along with its 9 hour batter life, makes for a pretty kick ass netbook to do site updates and auction-housing from. Thanks Bennick and Zhakoo for the input on that one, can’t wait for it to arrive!